- Kick the Habit– It’s never too late to stop nicotine usage. It’s not easy but once you are determined, you can do it. Studies indicate the smoking can rapidly age your skin and is one of the prime factors in accelerated skin aging. In fact, the skin of a 40 year old smoker resembles that of a 60 year old non-smoker. Various complex physiological pathways are affected by nicotine but the most widely accepted theory is that chronic nicotine usage will compromise the micro-vessels of the skin leading to poor oxygenation of cells that in turn result in detrimental outcomes including impaired collagen synthesis (the skin plumping factor) which visibly translates into sagging, wrinkled, dull and hyper- aged skin. Another key study indicates that those who ‘kicked the habit’ very early on in the game, saw a significant improvement in their overall skin health, especially freshness, vibrancy, and resiliency. Therefore, caseation of smoking is certainly a scientifically proven way to bring back beautiful healthy skin- non-invasively.
- Trash the Junk– Junk food belongs in the trash. Sorry about my rather candid approach, but honesty is the best policy. Processed, canned and ‘fast foods’ contain heaping amounts of saturated fats, refined sugars, dyes, preservatives, and other harmful chemicals that will actually create a toxic pool of harmful metabolites within your body. Most of these foods are nutrient poor and provide negligible amounts of the daily recommended vitamins and minerals that are vital for proper skin cell metabolism. The skin is a direct reflection of your dietary intake. You truly are what you eat. Therefore, trash the junk and follow the rainbow. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow is clear luminous skin that defies gravity. A healthy anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant-rich, rainbow diet will be your key to gorgeous skin (and overall health), take my word for it.
- Fountain of Youth– Drink plenty of water. How much exactly? It has been determined by medical experts that the adequate intake of water (AI) for an average healthy male living in a temperate climate is about 12-13 cups per day and about 8-9 cups per day for an average healthy female. Water will actually work like a powerful elixir and brilliantly detox your entire body, flushing out toxins and allowing the cellular battery to run smoothly. Water is truly the fountain of youth for our skin cells. The bulk of our skin is made of cells that contain up to 80% water. The more water you drink, the more is made available for the skin cells to soak up and become internally hydrated leading to luminous healthy skin. Make sense? This simple easy trick will work wonders not only for your skin but your entire body and detoxify your system inside out. So, in essence, water is truly the fountain of youth.
- Hat Trick– A startling study indicates that more than 75% of facial aging can be directly linked to sun exposure. Therefore, even though the skin plays a small yet important role in Vitamin D synthesis, you should know that extrinsic aging is primarily caused by exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation (UVR) exposure so you must take all necessary precautions and exercise sun safety if you want to avoid prematurely sun damaged skin. Wearing natural dark colored opaque material, a wide brimmed hat, avoiding the sun during peak hours, applying a good quality sunscreen regularly, and using UVA shields on car and home windows are just some simple skin-saving measures that will ensure radiant healthy skin in the long run. Prevention is certainly better than the cure. We are not implying that you can’t enjoy a relaxing sunny day at the beach, but just keep your hat on and practice sun safety. You will be amazed at the miraculous benefits these simple measures can have on your skin health, not to mention the money you will be saving by not having to undergo expensive anti-aging procedures.
- Take out your China– Unfermented Green Tea & Oolong Tea are the superheroes of the tea species and will ultimately be your true savior. Green tea is brimming with substances known as polyphenols that are proven to have anti-tumor, anti-aging, anti-UVR benefits. Be it a steaming hot cuppa or a chilled refreshing glass, super teas are the true skin elixirs from café Mother Nature. Countries where consumption of green tea is high, people have noticeably fresher youthful skin and longer life spans as compared to those that do not consume it on a regular basis. Studies indicate that green tea polyphenols exert an anti-cancer and sun protective effect on skin cells. This is an enlightening fact which further proves the naturally curative benefits of teas high in polyphenolic compounds. Some studies have demonstrated that topical application of skincare products containing green tea extracts may lead to photo-protection (sun protection) and reverse the signs of sun damage when used regularly. Since green tea extracts have shown to reduce inflammation and erythema (redness), it might be an excellent remedy for those suffering from sensitive, irritated and inflamed skin. All in all, green tea is an all natural skin and body detoxifier that has proven benefits on the long term health of your skin. So, are you ready to take the tea challenge?